<?php namespace SanDiego\UserGroup\PHP;
Having you speak at SDPHP is appreciated by many, including the organizers.
Speaking is a great way to share knowledge you have with others. Have you just tried something new, and want to help someone else get through any hurdles? Present. Do you love a particular framework and want to show it off to others? Present. Are you giving a big presentation at a big conference and want to practice first? Present.
Public speaking can be nerve wracking. We are here to help you through it. Realize that everyone wants to learn, and understands your nervousness. You are not being judged.
We have put together a list of tips to help you succeed.
MOST IMPORTANT TIPS
- You don’t have to be an expert
- You are allowed to make mistakes
- You are allowed to be nervous
- Enjoy the experience
WHAT YOU NEED
- A presentation or slide deck
- Send us a PDF version for a just in case scenario
- Approximately 45 minutes of material
- A computer with a VGA connection. Make sure you have necessary adapters
THINGS TO UNDERSTAND
- Many of us will ask leading questions if we feel something can be clarified for those that are newer
- This is to help you and everyone in the group, don’t take it personally if it seems to happen a lot
- It’s ok not to know the answer to someone’s question. Just say “I’m sorry, I don’t know.”
- Earn brownie points by finding the answer afterwards and letting the group know
- Not everyone will pay 100% attention during your presentation
- This one is hard to get used too, but you have to ignore those and focus on the people that are focusing on you